Couchsurfing hosting in Japan for the first time!

June 22, 2017

Welcome ! 

Our first guest from Montreal,Canada !

July, 2012



I heard about Couchsurfing from one of my pen pal at 2011. It was 1 year later since I started learning English. I had been learning English through the exchange emails with my pen pals,mostly. After I finished to learn basic grammars and words, I just wanted to use them in real conversations to improve my skill as next step (my English still isn't good even now, though...).
So, I thought Couchsurfing is the best way for my learning English and, of course it seems very fun to connect other countries people at my place.
That is why I started to Couchsurfing as a host.



Finally,meet up for the first time



Anyway, my first guest came to my place. It was the first Couchsurfing experience for both my family and them so we did contact a lot before we met.
Talked about Jobs, families, English skills, where my house is located, what do they want at my place..etc and the most important thing about meet up place and time.


We met up at nearest station from my house, I went there to pick them up with my daughters. I remember that I was so nervous because it was also first time for me to use English by myself with foreigners in real talking.
It sounds might be weird for you but generally, most of Japanese people including me can't have conversations with English because we can't speak, not  " don't speak ". So we (Japanese) afraid the situation to use English than the situation to meet new people.

Get to know each other culture


After stopped by my house to put their luggage, we went to Sushi restaurant to have dinner.
It was really funny when they tried to eat Uni (urchin) is the most expensive and popular one in Sushi, for the first time, their faces are....anyway surprised :)
Don't worry , Although I am a Japanese I don't like Uni so much.


They stayed just one night, so we didn't have much time but we had a great time exchanging on our different cultures through the conversations in the night.
We talked about using the way of slippers in the rooms, how and when take bath usually, Americans and Chinese, anime of Hayao Miyazaki, Tengus and other mythical creatures.
He said, one of the reason they come to Japan is to see 3 mythical creatures,
Tengus...

Kappas..



And... I forgot the last one, sorry.


I was so surprised they know Doragonball and Totolo very well because I didn't know that how Japanese anime is famous in the world at that time.
Also I heard they take only shower not get into the bathtub,moreover they take shower in the morning not in the night. This is the difference of culture. It's never happened in Japan usually. Also, I didn't know Montreal people speak French in usually, I think this thing is not known well in Japan.
Good to know everything!

They played with my kids super well and even with my dog a! despite they were already tired with their long trip, I really appreciate about that.
It was also first time to meet other country people for my children, of course.
Language seems doesn't matter for children.
I was relieved to see my children seemed not afraid to contact my guests despite the kids couldn't speak English at all.  I got a confidence we can continue the Couchsurfing by seeing that.



Next day, We went to Arima onsen which is very famous onsen town in Japan, located nearby my place. We spent half a day enjoying the hot baths.



Although it was just one and half day, this was really awesome Couchsurfing experience!
They are not married couple at that time (5 years ago), but now, they have became a family and have their adorable daughter!  We can connect even now, How great!










You Might Also Like

0 コメント

Please leave us comments in feel free.